Converting an Isel MiniFlat CNC-mill

Found an interesting link? Want some feedback on a new idea? Share it with the community here!
Forum rules
Please take a moment to read our site policies.

Re: Converting an Isel MiniFlat CNC-mill

Postby Jethro » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:56 pm

Thanks for sharing Viktor! This is certainly a very interesting conversion project!
Jethro
Site Admin

"Do it better, do it together."
Metalbot blog:here Development Wiki:here For Newcomers:here

Postby VDX » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:44 pm

... with new firmware and some minor tweaking of the driver I've removed the lag between laser-pulsing and motion.

Here an engraving test in wood with 30mm/s and power around 0.5W -- have to add some better power/time-optimizing for higher speeds, but now it's nearly perfect with 100kHz clocking and up to 50mm/s traveling speed:

VDX
Site Admin

Postby zhivko » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:30 pm

There is similar CNC package available from zentoolworks - it's US product currently priced at $1,079.99, what makes it less interesting for us in EU (customs and postage) :)
http://www.zentoolworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=44&products_id=259&osCsid=d75euoq9u0fo04p78botf1e695
I was thinking I could use it - but now I am waiting for 3d printer rigidbot - they started as kickstarter project last year and they are promissing they will send it in july.
zhivko

Wiki Project: Zhivko

Postby VDX » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:52 pm

... would be an interesting comparison of rigidity/stiffness of the frames and max. possible speeds without resonancy wobbling ...

Viktor
VDX
Site Admin

Postby VDX » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:43 pm

... some updates around the 'convertibles' ...

When leaving the Isel-group end June, I've kept the modified miniflat in exchange for some limited 'service-credits' (if/when they'll need infos or help regarding laser-applications or my developments).

Here it's sitting on the bed of my old gantry and waiting on the controller-update:

VDX-MiniFlat.jpg
VDX-MiniFlat.jpg (610.26 KiB) Viewed 720 times

... but actually I've started another project for an associated company, where (together with my wife) we're developing a paste-dispenser around a small CNC-machine, which prototype I've received today:

Prototyp1-200x150x50.jpg
Prototyp1-200x150x50.jpg (348.21 KiB) Viewed 720 times

The working area is 200x150x50mm, it has a really rigid frame, industry-grade linear rails and tooth-belts (for speed) in X+Y, a (temporary) Z-axis with 16x5mm spindle, NEMA-23 steppers ...

The controller is based on ArduinoDue and heavy modified Printrun+Marlin4Due with import-plugins for Gerber-files.

The first step is to get it working as paste-dispenser for PCB-manufacturing, then I have to adopt additional tool-heads for laser-engraving, 3D-printing and AM-heads ;)

Viktor
VDX
Site Admin

Postby VDX » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:42 pm

... got it running today and adjusted the settings for a first test with processing a dummy solder-paste job.

Here it's sitting on the machine, I've used to prepare the Printrun-software for paste-dispensing (using the drivers from this machine) - the controller is an ArduinoDue with Marlin4Due firmware:

Prototyp1-200x150x50 - 2.jpg
Prototyp1-200x150x50 - 2.jpg (605.94 KiB) Viewed 714 times

... and a video with the machine in action:

https://vimeo.com/133231815

Viktor
VDX
Site Admin

Postby VDX » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:19 am

... tested the tool-chain for PCB-prototyping with outline contours milling.

The ouput G-code fromTarget is different to the common 3D-printing formats, so removed all codes but G0/G1.

Here the second video with slower speeds than in the first:

https://vimeo.com/133435453

Viktor
VDX
Site Admin

Postby Jethro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:51 pm

VDX wrote:... some updates around the 'convertibles' ...

When leaving the Isel-group end June, I've kept the modified miniflat in exchange for some limited 'service-credits' (if/when they'll need infos or help regarding laser-applications or my developments).

Here it's sitting on the bed of my old gantry and waiting on the controller-update:

VDX-MiniFlat.jpg

... but actually I've started another project for an associated company, where (together with my wife) we're developing a paste-dispenser around a small CNC-machine, which prototype I've received today:

Prototyp1-200x150x50.jpg

The working area is 200x150x50mm, it has a really rigid frame, industry-grade linear rails and tooth-belts (for speed) in X+Y, a (temporary) Z-axis with 16x5mm spindle, NEMA-23 steppers ...

The controller is based on ArduinoDue and heavy modified Printrun+Marlin4Due with import-plugins for Gerber-files.

The first step is to get it working as paste-dispenser for PCB-manufacturing, then I have to adopt additional tool-heads for laser-engraving, 3D-printing and AM-heads ;)

Viktor

Awesome, looks very much like the design methodology we want to implement with the Arclight hybrid printer... strong, sturdy and durable.

What kind of accuracy are you expecting with this setup? Repeatable accuracy of 0.02mm?

The fact that it's running on the Arduino Due is brilliant. Do you think it would be worth building a gantry from scratch or simply purchasing an Isel MiniFlat and retrofitting it?

They really are a good price: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Isel-MiniFlat ... 1c4a64f055

Thanks for sharing Viktor!
Jethro
Site Admin

"Do it better, do it together."
Metalbot blog:here Development Wiki:here For Newcomers:here

Postby VDX » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:22 pm

... AFAIK Isel abandoned the MiniFlat last year, so they won't be selling and in service for long time anymore :?

I have one (or maybe the only one) of the prototypes with servos instead of steppers, so it's much faster than the stepper-driven selled types ... and my modification of the Y-axis 'repaired' one of the worst instabilities of the design :roll:

Better look on the new machine, which was posted at directindustry recently - http://www.directindustry.com/prod/gie- ... em_1625913

The price will be the same, the speed really much faster - I'm driving it now with up to 670mm/s without loosing steps!

The accuracy with the belt drives in XY is around 0.01mm in X and 0.015mm in Y -- but this will change with the 'official' design.

And if there's Interest in higher accuracy and lower speed, then the belts can be exchanged by spindles too ...

Viktor
VDX
Site Admin

Postby VDX » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:34 pm

... I've got one of the RADDS-boards working with RAPS128 microstepping dirvers with up to 2.2Amps current driving capabilities, so could be worth replacing the big external comercial CNC-driver trough a small integrated board (all cables except line and USB will be hidden/internal) and test the max. speeds and accuracies ...

Viktor
VDX
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News, Ideas and Links