MS3D SLS oem 3D Printer

Show-off your latest and greatest creations!
Forum rules
Please take a moment to read our site policies.

MS3D SLS oem 3D Printer

Postby mecanicu » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:09 pm

A first glimpse on my frame design :)

SLS 3D Printer.jpg
SLS 3D Printer.jpg (137.17 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
Last edited by mecanicu on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mecanicu

Wiki Project: Mecanicu
Medisan

Re: My Frame Design

Postby Calcetin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:13 pm

Can you label the parts for us?

(I also edited your post to place the image in-line. I think it looks much better, don't you?)
Calcetin

Donovan

Postby 3dmetal » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:30 pm

Does it powder load from both side? I'm just thinking of the volume in the middle build platform, if it's bigger than the side ones it will not fill up with each pass, easy fix though.

I'm working on a build platform design drawing right now to lower the amout of drop down powder that may get into our steppers and electronics.

Also, I'm looking at the idea of using delrin plastic for the frame and box (but not the build bed) it's very tough stuff, and may be made air tight without much fuss. I'm leaning towards a non-preheated system with a stronger laser, it may cost more but I think the simpler the better as far as getting build boxes that anyone with some skills can make.

Is the hole at the top to allow for a laser scanner rather then an x-y? If so, I like it, from what I can tell from the web it looks like a bit more technology in this area is well worth the effort, and results in fewer overall moving parts.

Keep up the good work. :geek:
3dmetal

Postby mecanicu » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:26 pm

The project is in the early stage. Fast review... The structure is from aluminium 10mm thick; yes the powder is loaded from both sides one by one by a roller, the work area x y z 200x200x300mm, the two power containers 2x 100x200x300mm i think it will compensate enough ( i did't add up the numbers, yet!), movement will be done by 3 ball screw drive nut's ( 0 backlash and very good resolution) and stepper motor's or servo.
Roller will be a challenge because the fine power will stick to it . I think a laser printer roller will be adequate, the anti-static qualities will stop the powder from sticking. The doors will be hard to do as well :(
Two day's ago i received some amide powder (i think it's a plastic ?), this thing is very fine (the finest powder i'v seen). I tried 20 minutes to lay a 0.2mm layer and i cud not do it, i managed to do a uneven 0.4mm layer
I sintered it unfocused and at 10% of laser power, 5000mm/s scanning speed with excellent result's, the sintered layer was 0.2mm (from 0.4mm layer)and fine finishing, medium strong (It was kind of hard to tear the layer up) .
I will make more test's when i have a rolling mechanism
mecanicu

Medisan

Postby mecanicu » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Calcetin wrote:Can you label the parts for us?

(I also edited your post to place the image in-line. I think it looks much better, don't you?)

:)) Tx
mecanicu

Medisan

Postby Calcetin » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:13 am

You're welcome. :D

Roller will be a challenge because the fine power will stick to it . I think a laser printer roller will be adequate, the anti-static qualities will stop the powder from sticking. The doors will be hard to do as well

Your comment reminded me of what I did years ago as a Xerox tech. Part of the six-week training involved theory, and not surprisingly, electrostatics came up often.

There are simple countermeasures available, from cyclic discharge, i.e., when the powder spreader has completed one leg of its travel, you discharge any accumulation that might cause the powder bed to be disturbed on the return pass, to a continuous charge management where there is a discharge filament active near the roller drawing current while the powder spreader is running.

God. Sorry about the horrible sentence. :oops: I think you get the idea though.
Calcetin

Donovan

Postby 3dmetal » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:14 am

Could that be done with a grounded wire, mounted on a motor brush pressing against the roller?
3dmetal

Postby Calcetin » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:23 am

The way it works in a copier is the shaft of the roller is ground and there's a high DC voltage on the corona wire. The bias sheds the toner that might be sticking from the last page before the drum gets the electrostatic 'image' for the next page.
Calcetin

Donovan

Postby 3dmetal » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:28 am

So in a printer the roller is charged on purpose? Would a roller have this charge with metal powder? A rubber coated steel roller shouldn't build up a charge, with a blade doing the bulk of the leveling and the roller just doing a light compression pass I wouldn't think deflection would be an issue.
3dmetal

Postby Calcetin » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:58 am

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be confusing. These are good discussions to have, and valuable.

The applications are different. A photocopier is completely different, but if there's a need* to dissipate charge accumulated on the roller on a per-pass basis, we could adapt the theory to work here. It might be as simple as good ground straps if it's a simple laser printer, but if we include induction and direct deposition it might be good to consider static charges as an active element in the problem set.

*(In the presumably very dry environment of the printing chamber)

Edit: Sorry again, I never answered you about how a photocopier works. :mrgreen:
Calcetin

Donovan

Next

Return to Share Your Projects